My last few posts haven’t exactly covered any frugal pointers or tips, one of my blogs underlying goals/ principal subjects. I figured with the average gas prices in Toronto and the GTA hovering at an all time high 140.765 per litre today, why not touch on a subject that would benefit all the individuals that follow my blog, even my friends in the UK
Granted some of these tips are not new and may even be considered common sense, however these days, common sense isn’t so common.
- Combine trips, shopping or errands to one or two days a week (avoid unnecessary trips)
- Drive less (walk or use transit)
- Purchase online if you can or via the telephone (have it delivered)
- Keep up with your vehicles scheduled maintenance
- Tire pressure (check it regularly adjust/ inflate when required)
- Check/ change your air filter regularly
- Gently accelerate, at green lights, on the highway, after stop signs… (whats the rush)
- Maintain a constant speed on highways / on level ground engage your cruise control
- Slow down, your engine operates more efficiently at a lower speeds/ RPMs (try the speed limit)
- Leave earlier or later, try a less traveled route (avoid traffic congestion)
- Anticipate traffic lights/ stop signs – try coasting to a stop
- Leave space between the vehicle in front of you – allowing you to react/ anticipate changes in traffic
- Avoid unnecessary braking
- Avoid unnecessary vehicle idling
I hope those points, I know some are kind of overlapping, my goal wasn’t an in-depth how to guide, more or less just refreshing some points, by no means is this a thesis on the subject.
If you want more information on any of those points, you can Google anyone of those subjects and find countless in depth articles on the web. If you want tips specific to hybrid vehicles or more hardcore driving practices, try looking up Hypermiling, Thrift Drive and if you are more hands on and mechanically inclined there are forums like TDI Club for VW diesel lovers and countless others where you can learn about tuning/ chipping your vehicle, as well countless pointers, testimonials even how to videos about maximizing your fuel efficiency.